IF YOU ARE ONE OF MY PARENTS AND HAVE FOUND THIS SITE, PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS BLOG IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, AND HELPS ME A LOT, AND I REALLY NEED YOU TO RESPECT MY PRIVACY AND STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Monday 13 September 2010

CMHT crapness

I have decided my CMHT are shit. Not necessarily the individuals working there (L is great for example), but as an organisation or whatever they are shit. 2 weeks ago they called me to say that L wasn't there that day and so my appointment was cancelled, and that she would probably be back the next day and would ring to rearrange then. That is the only time they have contacted me. I have rung twice since then and asked if she is there and been told she is still away, but they didn't ask my name or anything, so they don't know that it was me who rung, and that I know she is still away. So she has been off for 2 weeks, is likely to be off for quite a while longer, and the only thing I have heard from them is being told that she would probably be back the next day 2 weeks ago. I think that is quite shit to be honest. They haven't rung to say she is going to be off for longer than they first thought. They haven't rung and asked how I am, or if I need to speak to anyone else since she isn't there, and I usually see her at least once a week, or twice in bad periods. I have just had absolutely no contact. Admittedly, there is probably only one, possibly two, other members of staff there I would even consider talking to about how I feel, but that isn't the point. I just don't understand how they can decide that I need seeing weekly, and then not even call for weeks just because L is off. That seems strange. Either I need weekly contact, or I don't. Plus of course I was away the week before that, so it is now 4 weeks since I have spoken to anybody. It all seems rather inconsistant. It isn't L's fault - she is away, but I feel like CMHTs should have some kind of system in place for when a member of staff is going to be away for more than a week or so. I had a care coordinator a few years ago, when I was under a different team, who went off sick, and at first it was just going to be that week, then it got longer and longer, and actually she never did come back, but I was left for months with no support, after seeing her weekly. There is always someone on duty, but calling in and asking to speak to the person on duty is a lot harder than if someone calls and asks how you are. And it isn't even that, not having anyone to talk to - it is more that they haven't actually called to say she will be away for a while. I am not sure if I have unreasonable expectations in thinking I should be told my CPN is going to be off for longer than the day they originally said, or if they just are shite.

5 comments:

  1. you know, to me that seems like a really reasonable response/set of assumptions because talk therapies work by establishing some base level of trust and *experienced* safety within the context of, wait for it, a relationship. so yeah, it is totally fair to be having a few issues with them just leaving you hanging like that!

    i mean it's great you're doing relatively OK with it but it's hardly in the interests of getting you well. which is their job. technically.

    having said that, it's all just bureaucracy and thermonuclear hypocrisy anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It *is* frustrating, for staff too. I've recently had quite a long time off due to my own MH probs, but I worried the whole time about my service users as I knew no-one would be dealing with them unless there was a major crisis. It's unacceptable, but sadly all too common

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catatonic Kid - Thanks for that. I am never sure whether I am being overly demanding, or if I have realistic expectations. To be honest I am not really coping with it, but never mind. It isn't my CPN I have the problem with - she can't help being ill. It is that they don't even bother telling people when someone is off ill.

    UselessCPN - I am sure it must be frustrating - I know for sure that my CPN wouldn't be happy about it, but there is nothing she can do, anymore than you could. And the thing is, they wouldn't even know if there was a major crisis, because I would not ring to speak to them, not knowing who would be on duty etc. I would just try and kill myself instead. Which is a fairly distinct possibility unless things start improving soon, but as I said in my previous post - there is no way I am going to call and speak to some fuckwit (which most of them are, and I can't be choosy - whoever is on duty would be who I would have to speak to) who can't do anything to help anyway, and would probably just patronise me until I wanted to scream. Ah well, it's all fun and games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how frustrated you must feel. It sounds like you really want to reach out to someone but your CMHT hasn't made that easy for you. Nor have they kept you in the loop when you ought to be. I'm sorry. That may be something to talk to L about when she gets back.

    Wishing you well,
    NOS

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is pretty crappy to be honest. I know when I worked in CMHT's before someone else will often pick up a persons client list and just mkae some phone contact if they are off for a long time.

    Anything could have happened in those weeks L's been off technically!

    I'd suggest ringing the cmht maybe speak to their team manager, suggest ways they can improve their methods?

    Hope things get easier for you soon. You should be proud of how well you've been coping with out your regular appointments though!

    Thinking of you
    xx

    ReplyDelete