IF YOU ARE ONE OF MY PARENTS AND HAVE FOUND THIS SITE, PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS BLOG IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, AND HELPS ME A LOT, AND I REALLY NEED YOU TO RESPECT MY PRIVACY AND STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Weight and Cake

I feel hideous. I have gained over 2lbs the last few days, and although I am aware that isn't very much, my weight does not fluctuate except with actual weight gain and loss, and I just feel like I have lost control of the sole thing that was actually ok and I wasn't feeling hideous about. The strange thing is, I still have no appetite. I am not hungry. I have just been eating for the sake of it, and that really annoys me. If I am hungry and I eat then that is kind of fair enough, although I still resent it if it causes weight gain, but not even being hungry and yet still managing to eat enough that I gain weight is just shit to be honest. I just feel revolting.

Naturally the way to solve the problem was to make a cake..... I do wonder about my intelligence at times. My mum clearly wanted a birthday cake though - when she was in Sainsbury's last week she phoned me and said they had the Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake mix on offer, plus the icing and should she buy them. I said she may as well buy the cake mix, since those cakes always turn out perfectly, whereas generally I find chocolate cakes a bit hit and miss as to whether they are delicious or dry, despite using the same recipe. Ironically I said not to bother with the icing, since icing isn't exactly difficult to make. Yesterday's endeavor clearly proved me wrong on that score. So anyway, I cheated and used the packet mix for the cake (which I did on Sunday) and then planned to decorate it yesterday, but as I explained, it all went hideously wrong as the buttercream curdled, and absolutely nothing I tried made it right again. So today I started again. I wanted two lots of icing - white chocolate for the middle layer and for piping, and normal chocolate for the top and sides. It all went fine. It just took so long. I don't know if I am just spectacularly crap at doing things like that, or if my concentration is bad enough at the moment that I went off into my own thoughts for long periods at a time, but from starting to make the icing, to the cake being totally finished took three hours, which is pretty ridiculous quite frankly - I wasn't attempting anything terribly complicated, and I did absolutely nothing in that time apart from that. Wondering if maybe some dissociating was going on, as three hours is just an absurd length of time for it to have taken when I look back at it. Due to my lack of imagination the cake looks remarkably similar to the cake I made for Mother's Day last year. Here are cake pictures since I have nothing interesting to say;


5 comments:

  1. Cake looks yummy and well done for finding the motivation know that is hard. Take Care. LR x

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy, far prettier than most of mine,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow :) Your cake looks gorgeous!
    Sweetie, you are far too hard on yourself. I only found your blog recently and was drawn in by your honesty and obvious talent for translating into words the feelings and thoughts that are eating you up..but also because I recognise that overwhelming "critical voice" (Damn I hate therapist-speak but 'tis ingrained in me after years of being over-therapised!).
    I can imagine how hard you must have to push yourself to do the things you do...the ballet and theatre, right down to making a cake for your Mum. You are so thoughtful, I wish you experienced the same thoughtful attitude in return and some positive actions from those who are supposed to have your care and wellbeing as a priority. What can I say? I've experienced some pretty shoddy 'care' myself, and count myself lucky that although it took many years, I now have a wonderful Care-Co-ordinator/therapist who without, I feel, I would have sunk by now. I guess I'm saying/hoping that there is that person for you...but oh how I wish they'd find you soon! Because you deserve that comfort.
    As for that "critical voice", tell it to bugger off as much as possible because you have far more to be applauded for than to be criticised for. So there!
    mel xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cake looks delicious. Don't beat yourself up for it taking a long while - it's better that than doing it in a rush and making a mess of it. Can I have some for my birthday please? (today) ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks bloody gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete